It’s only been 6 months since the last update – I’m pathetic. We actually have made some progress around the house since May.
We kicked off the summer by re-roofing the whole house. Some places we had two layers of composition shingles on top of cedar shingles. Other places we just had a couple layers of comp. Either way, we took it all the way down, put on new plywood, and reroofed it. And when I say “we,” I actually mean the roofers we hired. That is a job best left to the professionals in my opinion. They did a great job and I can’t tell you how nice it is to not find any shingles blown off in the yard or worry about a leak here or there.
Once we were done spending money above our heads, we then proceeded to bury it beneath our feet: the joy of a new sewer line and water line. When we bought the house, we found out that our next door neighbor partied into our sewer line. That and our old sewer line curved out across the property line and then back. And had a minor crack in it. So the guys dug a couple deep holes (by hand) and then drilled and pulled a new sewer line in.
I must say I was impressed – the whole process was so much slicker than trenching and laying in a new line. Two holes made it fairly non-invasive and then the fact that they can bend and pull a brand new line in like that was pretty amazing.
We have three street trees: two diseased cherry trees in front and one massive walnut tree on the side. The walnut has been ignored for quite a while so I did a bit of “limbing up.” These pictures were taken half way through but needless to say, the tree is happier for it.
We spent so much time sitting on the front porch this summer, I eventually got perturbed by the old, bubbling paint on the front window trim. So I stripped the paint down to the original wood and primed it up. And that’s how it will stay until the spring.
I had intended to get the fence replaced but the rain just got here to fast…or I’m just to slow. But I have settled on a design which is the first step. My plan is to hire somebody to set the posts and then I’ll take care of the rest. This is what I plan on doing but with a natural stain color.
I guess that project will have to wait until the spring.