The baby’s room has turned into a slight ordeal (surprise, surprise). Originally, it was the sight of painted wallpaper and the bad-house-karma that it provided that motivated us to start in on this room. And the fact that it was small and should be easy. “Remove the paint and wallpaper,” they say. I did that and did so fairly easy. To recap, I found 3 layers of paint (lead of course) on top of 3 layers of wallpaper, on top of 1 layer of paint on top of plaster.
Lots of paint on top of lots of wallpaper on top of more paint.
The 3 layers of paint nearly peeled off. The wallpaper, with some elbow grease came off relatively fast. I thought I was almost home free.
What remained was a green, chaulk like dust on the walls.
100 year old calcimine paint
I didn’t know what to make of it nor what to do about it. After discussing this with some painting contractors and the folks down the street at Miller Paint, I learned that this is calcimine paint. It needs to be removed in order to have our paint bond to the plaster. How do you remove it? Either wet it down and scrape it or sand it. Scraping it is horrible. It would take me 3 weeks straight to do a horrible job at it. Sanding it would also take forever. I’ve tried both. A note: we’ve got masks, dust collection and vacuums in the room and the dust in the air is actually almost zero.
I had read about skimming it but wondered about the bonding. I’m against putting drywall over it for obvious reasons. I thought about pulling the lath and plaster down and drywalling it. I could have insulated/sound proofed the room and checked electrical. But I didn’t. I removed as much as I could without going insane and decided to try an awesome oil based primer. It seems to have sealed and done the trick as long as one of the kids doesn’t decide to eat a wall.
Oil based primer seems to do the trick.
In the spirit of a Spiraling Project, I also discovered what the original trim looked like unpainted – it’s gorgeous. A fair amount of paint had chipped off so I decided it would be best to strip the picture moulding. This appeased my desire to get something down to bare wood without removing every single piece of wood. At least not yet and not on this room.
Chemicals remove decades of paint
Stained picture moulding. A little dark but good enough.
At this point, it became obvious that the doors needed to be stripped and finished as well. I dropped them at Houck’s Stripping and for $110 a door, they made them beautiful! After a little sanding, they were ready to finish as well.
Freshly stripped doors. A little sanding and ready to finish.
This is the second major slowdown of the room. I wasn’t blown away with the stain color of the picture moulding but I had already stained it. Now I have these gorgeous doors and I have decided that however I finish these, I will carry the process through the rest of the house. Clear looks amazing but might be too much clear fir. I could lighten the stain a bit (I do like the contrast to the cream trim). Or some totally different, yet to be determined color. The pressure. Instead of deciding, it was time to mess with the hardware.
I salvaged all the old door hardware and vents and plopped them in a pot with water and soap. Couple hours later and after some stirring, we had brand new (old) hardware.
Cooking paint off the vent. The rest was done in a pot.
For the switch and plug covers as well as window pulls, we went with Rejuvenation’s oil rubbed bronze finish. It looks sharp. For the curtain rod, we went with the IKEA $14.95 special. Hot diggity. And nobody will notice the $110 I saved by not buying from Rejuvenation. We also have a Jefferson light fixture on order (with two shades because I couldn’t decide).
Beginning to come together. Need doors and picture moulding.
Now we just need to decide what to do with those doors and get the moulding up. I did decide to go with a danish finish on all the woodwork as I liked the look better than poly and figured that it would be easier to maintain and fix over the years.
Deadline: September 3rd. Give or take. Baby #2 will arrive.
I can see the finish line…
Complete pics here.
Update: the green chaulky substance is actually calcimine paint, not lead paint. More difficult to remove but slightly less hazardous.